Friday, September 12, 2008

Thing 20. Libraries and Social Networks


My college daughter who is 29 has a presence on both websites and she is on them a lot. When asked why she said, "that is where all of her friends are and it is easy to use and add applications." So I poked around in her site awhile and was still wondering WHY!
I did enjoy the article on 12 Ways to Use Facebook Professionally and could see possibly why some would join and went to look at two other sites mentioned in the article. I could see our library or me being a presence on those sites before My Space or Facebook.
I think that these two sites might have an earned or unearned reputation and sometimes are not given a fair chance. On the other hand quite a few students have learned not to post everything they do and know as it can come back to bite you.
Fo me I cannot see how I would use this in a professional of personal setting. But it was good to be able to look at them so at least I have some idea what is out there.

No comments: