Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thing 7. Web 2.0 Communication Tools

E-Mail
I have used this for many years in the library. It was a great way to communicate with colleagues, family and friends and keep up with what was going on. It was especially helpful when pictures could be exchanged with the local newspapers.

We have taken part in a grant opportunitythrough our regional library system to teach seniors and other how to use computers, emails, photos and file sharing. We also do one-on-one training for anyone who would like to sign up for a service.

We do have some patrons who use the e-mail to notify us of a books they would like to reserve, renew, or just see if we have the book available. We also receive reference questions from patrons.

IM
I see a real need for this even in our small library. I am asking the staff to set up their our accounts and start using this rather than calling across the room for an answer. This will be used by us a lot.

I really appreciate Round 2 of the 23 Things this time I want to finish and force myself out of my comfort zone and learn more about Web 2. Then I can help family, friends, colleagues, and patrons feel more comfortable about some of the really cool tools out there in cyberspace.

No comments: